Friday 13 May 2011

Album Review: Dum Dum Girls - He Gets Me High EP (2011)

He Gets Me High
I've heard about Dum Dum Girls, a Indie Pop band from California, only a year ago. I must admit that I haven't had enough time to listen to some songs of that band that ambitiously declares itself as the result of "what would have happened if The Cure met The Bengals...". So I've found a few seconds to hear their last Release He Gets Me High (2011), an EP which contains only 4 songs.


It starts with Wrong feels right (Youtube, Lyrics), which sounds like of a female version of The Drums' song... but it's still comfort to my ear.
On He gets me high (Youtube, Lyrics), Dee Dee sings: "I hold my breath till you come back, The picture's black, the picture's black. I promised not to call you back But heaven knows I can't keep it", a basic Rock love song, which makes your legs wanna move...


As the leading singer, Dee Dee, mentioned before, it seems that the inspiration of Mazzy Star lays on the lovely song, Take care of my baby (Youtube), which sounds like a collaboration of Hope Sandoval and Patti Smith. I don't know if The Smiths have heard the girls cover version to There is a light that never goes out (Youtube, Lyrics), which sounds fantastic and leaves me with passion to hear more...


The song you should purchase the album for: "There is a light that never goes out" (The Smiths cover version)

The Judge Decision: I could have get much higher if it was a bit longer....

Ranking
 (7/10)


No comments:

Post a Comment