Tuesday 10 May 2011

A Man Called E: Eels Collection (Vol. 1)



This week I listened to one of my favourites songs ever written, A line in the dirt (Youtube, Lyrics), by Mark Oliver Everett, which is known as E... And what a life story this 48 years old singer song-writer have got, losing one by one all of his family members left bright marks on his lyrics.

I chose to put inside this collection 3 songs of his second album End Times (2010) in a Trilogy which contains Hombre Lobo: 12 Songs of Desire (Dig) (2009) and Tomorrow Morning (2010). This album foucosed on divorce and aging and is the best of this Trilogy. Together with A line in the dirt mentioned above, I featured In my younger days (Youtube, Lyrics) which looks back on the past with a bit of romantic scent and Sentimental I need a mother (Youtube, Lyrics), where he mentions: "I need a mother, I'm sorry but it's true. I need a loverNot someone like you". From the last part of this Trilogy I've put inside this collection I'm a hummingbird (Youtube, Lyrics) which got a dark sound of orchestra in the background.


I love his album Blinking Lights And Other Revelations (2005) from which I've chosen In the yard, behind the church (YoutubeLyrics). My Beloved Monster (Youtube, Lyrics) is taken from the following tour preformed live on With Strings Live at Town Hall (Dig) (2006) and the Last stop: This town (Youtube, Lyrics) is taken from Electro-Shock Blues (1998) as well as Elizabeth on the bathroom floor (YoutubeLyrics) which was inspired by his mental ill sister diary. She wrote: "Laying on the bathroom floor, Kitty licks my cheek once more And I could try, But waking up is harder when you want to die", and I can't remove this image from my head when I hear this song. 


Also you can find here a great cover (The best I've met so far...) for Sophie B Hawkins hit single, Damn, I wish I was your lover (Youtube, Lyrics) in contrast to the songs above, it feels like E was in a fine mood while singing it. Daisies of the Galaxy (Youtube, Lyrics) is taken from his Oh What A Beautiful Morning (2000). On the rare part you can find birdgirl on the cellphone (Lyrics) taken from Useless Trinkets: B Sides, Soundtracks, Rarities and Unreleased 1996-2006 (2CD+DVD) (2008), previously released on i-tunes store exclusively.

Man Called E. (1992) was his debut album were he used for the first time his pseudonym E. Hello cruel world (Youtube, Lyrics) gives a clue of E's future writings but Looking out the window with a Blue hat on (Youtube, Lyrics) is more optimisitic than the previous. I think that Novocaine for the soul (Youtube, Lyrics) was his greatest hit, but I don't think it's one of his best (Taken from Beautiful Freak).

Enjoy this one and stay tuned for the next...

No comments:

Post a Comment